Vladimir Tatlin was born in Kharkov (Ukraine) in 1885. He studies at the Selverstov School of Art in Penza (1904-1910) and at The School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture in Moscow. He participates in: The Donkey’s Tail (1912), Jack of Diamonds (1913), Union of Youth (1911-1914), Tramway V (1915), The Store (1916) and “0.10” (1915, 1916). In Paris (1914) he meets Picasso. In 1917 he decorates with Rodchenko and Iakuvlov café Pittoresque in Moscow. Tatlin is nominated as president of the Federation of the Left-wing Artists of Moscow (1917). He is the Head of the artistic school at Izo Narkompros in Moscow (1918-1919), He teaches at the Free Art Studios and at VKhUTEMAS (1919-1924).
He becomes Head of the Department of Material Culture at the Institute of Artistic Culture, later he cofounds the Institute of Artistic Culture. His model for a monument to the 3rd International Exhibition of Decorative Arts (Paris, 1926) wins him a gold medal. It was to be the tallest building in Europe (almost 400m), and consisted of an iron framework leaning spiral supporting a glass cylinder, cone and cube, each of them rotating at different speeds. In 1929-1932 Tatlin is the Director of the Experimental Scientific Laboratory and later acts as Head of the Faculty of Ceramics at the Moscow Institute of Silicates. In 1930 Tatlin returns to figurative painting. In 1931 he is proclaimed “artist of great culture, a true master and devoted worker of the proletarian revolution”. Tatlin dies in Moscow in 1953.