Nadezhda Udaltsova was born in Oryol (Russia), in 1886. In 1908 at S. Shchukin’s residence, she is introduced to French Post-Impressionism. In 1912 she travels to Paris and studies at the Académie de la Palette with Le Fauconnier and Metzinger. Udaltsova adopts classical Cubism and begins to develop her own Cubistic style. In 1913, she works in The Tower – Tatlin’s studio. From 1910 to 1914 she is a member of the Artists’ Union (Soyuz Molodyozhi). In 1914, she participates in the 4th Jack of Diamonds exhibition. In 1915 she displays 8 Cubist works at Tram V exhibition and also in 0.10. Among her remarkable works of this period are New (1914–1915), At the Piano (1915), Restaurant (1915), and Kitchen (1915).
After joining Supremus – headed by K. Malevich, she produces purely geometric Suprematist compositions. In 1917-1919, Udaltsova is active in cultural-political activity, and organizes the Left Federation of Moscow Artists. Unlike her colleagues, she does not abandon painting for design. She teaches in art schools, and in 1921 resigns from the Institute of Artistic Culture. In 1929-1932 she travels to the Altai Mountain and paints a series of landscapes in a descriptive style. In 1938 her husband is imprisoned and executed for his political activity. During World War II, Udaltsova makes portraits of fighter pilots. In 1945 she holds her last exhibition in Moscow. She spends her last years confined to her apartment, painting mainly landscapes and still life. Udaltsova dies in Moscow in 1961.